Our Relationship with McDonald's

Joe Benden and Don Smith of Northeast Ohio McDonald’s Operators Association present the first installment of their pledge for the Ronald McDonald House to Steve Zayac in 1979.

Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Northeast Ohio is an independent 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization. While we are neither owned nor operated by McDonald’s, McDonald’s Owner/Operators of Northeast Ohio are an integral part of our history and a vital source of ongoing support.

McDonald’s Owner/Operators of Northeast Ohio have been supporting Ronald McDonald House programs since 1979 when they provided startup funding for the Cleveland House, the first in Ohio and ninth in the world. They subsequently contributed to the openings of Ronald McDonald House of Akron in 1985, RMHC of Northeastern Ohio in 1988, and RMHC Mahoning Valley and Western Pennsylvania in 1993.

Throughout the years, McDonald’s Owner/Operators have remained steady contributors, helping fund program and facility expansions, serving as board members, volunteers and event sponsors, and inspiring the involvement of McDonald’s suppliers and employees. In addition, they have encouraged and collected contributions from McDonald’s customers through special promotions, incentives, donation boxes and Round-Up to the nearest dollar to support RMHC Northeast Ohio.

The Owner/Operators’ commitment to helping families with sick and injured children was reaffirmed in 2020 when they supported the merger to create what is now RMHC Northeast Ohio. We are grateful for this vital forty-year relationship and look forward to many more years together helping families when they need it most.

Our relationship with McDonald’s provides about 10% of our yearly operating budget. We rely on the generosity of individual donors and our corporate and community partners for the other 90%. Find out about ways to help support our mission.


Clark Kellogg, basketball analyst, Cleveland native, St. Joseph High School and Ohio State University alum is asking everyone to please Round-Up at McDonald’s to help keep families together at the Ronald McDonald House.

X