Coronavirus Prevention - Ronald McDonald House Akron
The Ronald McDonald House of Akron has been finding innovative ways to continue mission delivery during the COVID-19 crisis. To minimize risk, however, we temporarily suspended intake of additional families into the House.
We are now starting to implement a carefully developed, phased re-opening plan approved by Ronald McDonald House Charities®. All processes, protocols and guidelines have been designed with the health and safety of families, staff, and volunteers as the top priority.
PROGRAM STATUS UPDATES
As of June 30, 2020:
- The Ronald McDonald House of Akron will accept and approve a limited number of new room requests on a gradual basis. Current eligibility criteria can be found on the Request a Room page. As before, families who are currently at the House may continue their stay as long as criteria continue to be met. Social distancing and other recommended policies and procedures must be followed.
- All in-person volunteer activities have been temporarily suspended, including regular shift volunteers and meal groups.
- A Red Tie E~Affair our annual fundraising event will be held virtually August 3-8, 2020.
- Non-essential visitors are temporarily excluded from entering the House.
- Essential visitors will be screened for risk factors before being permitted to enter the House.
- Non-essential item donations, including but not limited to pull tabs, toiletries, toys and blankets will not be accepted at this time.
- Essential item donations such as food, paper products, cleaning products and gift cards will be accepted for vestibule or outside delivery door drop off.
Due to the suspension of meal groups, monetary and grocery store gift card donations are critically needed. If you are able, please consider a contribution. We, and our families, are grateful for your help.
- Make a financial contribution to support our families.
- To view our Essentials Wish List please click here.
REDTREEHOUSE.ORG: resources for families at home
Schools are closed and many families need to stay home. How can you keep your children learning, engaged and healthy? RedTreehouse.org, a Ronald McDonald Family Resource Link, has many tools, guides and other resources to help. The site now covers OH, PA and WV.
You can search by key words and region, or use the advanced search to add filters of age, topic and more. We’ve recently added listings for COVID-19 state and national websites and hotlines, tools for how to talk to children about the situation, and kid-friendly learning resources.
ONGOING EFFORTS AND UPDATES FROM THE CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL
We are continuing to work with our hospital partner and to review updates and guidance set by government and health officials. We encourage everyone to educate themselves and respond thoughtfully. You can stay up to date on the national guidance by visiting the CDC website, local updates from the Ohio Department of Health and information for our partner hospital Akron Children’s Hospital.
We will remain attentive to the changing conditions and will make further announcements as necessary.
We thank you for your understanding and support during this time.